We all know Rahu is to be a malefic planet, but why? Rahu is one of the Navagraha of Vedic Astrology. Unlike other Navagrahas, Rahu and Ketu are not planets, but the North and South Lunar Nodes. He is the Minister of the Asuras. He is the Vedic representation of materialism, fear, confusion, and inferior complexes. Rahu is the son of the demons Viprachitti and Simhika. Rahu was born on the 14th day, Chaturdasi Krishna Paksha, in the month of Bhadrapada.
History and Background of Rahu and Ketu:
According to the legends, the story goes back when the Gods and the Asuras were churning the Ocean of Milk, for the Amrita (the potion of immortality). The Devas and the Asuras were sitting opposite each other to consume it. Svarbhanu, an Asura, stealthily sat in the row of the Devas. He sat between the Sun God and the Moon God.
They suspected the foul play and reported it to Lord Vishnu. Vishnu, then with his Sudharshana Chakra cut off Svarbhanu’s head from his body and decapitated him. But, by the time, the demon had consumed some of the Amrita meaning he had become immortal and could not die. His head came to be known as Rahu and his body was called Ketu.
After this incident, they were given the status of ‘Grahas’ and to assert influence on the lives of earthly beings. The reporting of Svarbhanu’s crime to Lord Vishnu is why Rahu and Ketu began to consider both the Sun and Moon to be their enemies. This is the reason why during eclipses, when the Sun or Moon are covered, it is said that Rahu and Ketu are avenging them.
Reasons to be Cautious of Rahu:
- Rahu Kaala is the time under the influence of Rahu, which is an inauspicious time to undertake or begin any good activity. Rahu is the manifestation of mercilessness. He is not the type to follow orders and obey authority. This is another reason why dislikes the Sun God who is the ruling authority. Rahu constantly creates trouble for others.
- He is a very violent, secretive, and mysterious planet, who cannot be understood easily.
- His physical appearance and description are also very fearful. Rahu is of the form of a demon’s head attached to a snake’s body. He has two horns on his head and a skeletal crown. As an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva, he has a Trishul on one hand.
- Everyone and everything under his influence are just like him, mysterious and secretive. Rahu is a necrophile and he does his activities in the dark.
- He is the God of Illusion and the native under his influence will be unable to make clear decisions.
- When he is with the lords of the second and seventh house, then he is fatal and cause death.
- Rahu Mahadasha lasts for eighteen years. It is a very inauspicious period, according to the Vedas. During this period of time, it is very dangerous as he can cause anything from financial problems to even the native’s death.
- Rahu and Ketu represent the extremes. So the person under their influence can be very delusional.
- Rahu asserts very worrisome things onto the individual. From delusions to routine lying, diseases to death.
Harmful Effects of Rahu in Different Houses:
- Rahu in the first house can make the native cruel and sadistic.
- If Rahu sits in the fourth house, the individual will be very unhappy. There may be problems with their mothers. Property and real estate related problems may also arise.
- In the fifth house, he leads to awkwardness, children’s problems, and even abortions of women.
- Rahu in the seventh house, causes ego problems, marital problems, and even medical problems. The native may have very late or no marriage at all.
- If Rahu is in the eighth house, the native will have very low standards of ethics and morals. They will be detached from their birthplace.
Rahu in Combination with Other Planets:
- When Rahu is conjoined with Venus, it will lead to sexual offenses and deviation from ‘normal’ behavior.
- When he combines with Jupiter, the native will misuse their power and authority. He/she will be a very materialistic person.
- In combination with Mars, Rahu will make the individual ruthless towards others. They will be brutal and misogynic.
- The combination of Rahu and Saturn makes the native unnecessarily traditional, leading to various “self-tortures”.
- Rahu with Mercury will lead to lying, foolery, cunning nature, and vengeance.
- The person will also tend to play with the feelings of others just for fun when associated with the Sun. He/she will hurt others just to show their power and dominance.
- Rahu with his other enemy, the Moon, will induce fear. Emotional instability will occur.
The Take-Home on Rahu and Ketu:
Rahu is described to be an evil entity in the Puranas due to his demonic origin. He can sometimes also be helpful, although he s mostly associated with evil. For instance, due to his secretive nature, Rahu’s influence can mean the natives can be successful as a spy. In fact, he is the LOKI OF HINDU MYTHOLOGY.
Further, you can enjoy reading the Effect of Combination of Rahu and Mars